Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Wonderful World of Disney

The Boy and me at Disney's Blizzard Beach in the wave pool

Day 1 -- All Roads Lead to Disney
Our latest Disney adventure began this morning at zero-three-thirty (that’s 3:30 AM to non-maritime folks). The Captain sprang out of bed as he always does. His work schedule is such that he can be called to the helm at any given time of day or, as often as not, night. So getting up early and sleeping where and when he can is no biggie. I, on the other hand, found out long, long ago that I am not a morning person. Another thing I know about myself is that a shower does more to wake me up and get me going than caffeine. So not only is it 03:30 but I had my shower at 21:00 (9:00 PM) and wasn’t able to go to sleep until after 23:30 (11:30 PM). Therefore, I’m working on about four hours rest. Ugh.

The house is clean (okay, okay, it’s straightened up and I swept and vacuumed but, to be fair, it wasn’t all that dirty to begin with). We had our clothes laid out before bed. The luggage is packed. The cats are outside. All we have to do is brush our teeth, make our beds, and go. My brother-in-law picks us up and we drive to the airport where we arrive in record time. There are minimal lines at security. Our wait flies by. The layover in Albuquerque is almost non-existent but gives us time to grab a sandwich for the next flight and board the plane.

Just about the time I get up to use the loo, the Fasten Seatbelts sign goes on and I have to sit down. So I need to use the facilities and I can’t because the plane is being jostled around like a cat toy. No, I’m not uncomfortable… Go ahead. Tickle me. I can take it. The last time I was this uncomfortable on a plane was on a red-eye between Paris and Nairobi on my way to meet The Captain when a young French couple curled up around each other and slept most of the eight-hour trip. I was at the window. Yes, I could have awakened them and taken care of myself but I’d rather suffer then bitch about it later and call them a silly name like The French Pretzel.

What is keeping me distracted are thoughts of the warm, sticky weather that awaits us, settling into the hotel, finding my parents who have been visiting friends on the east coast for two weeks, and dinner, our first of five character meals scheduled over the next twelve days. This one should be a kick. It is at the Grand Floridian Hotel and hosted by Cinderella and her Wicked Stepsisters. I understand that Cinderella’s Stepmother is known for trying to set up the gentlemen diners with her daughters. It’s a good thing The Captain, The Boy, and my dad have a good sense of humor – and are comfortable with their masculinity! Later in the week we have dinner scheduled at the Castle and the theme is more princess than pirate. Hey! It’s my vacation too!! J

Right now I’m just begging for the pilot to turn off that dad-gum light!!! Wish me luck.

(By the way, dinner at the Grand Floridian hotel was great. The food was really good and we got to meet Cinderella, Prince Charming, Anastasia, Drizella, and Lady Tremaine. The hotel was beautiful, had live orchestra and piano music in the lobby, and some great shops.)

Day 2 – A Wee Bit of Rain
Due to the Gay Pride celebration being scheduled at the Magic Kingdom today, we decided to spend the day at Epcot to avoid the numbers of people. It started out as a lovely day – until skies opened and it poured down on us for HOURS; I’m not exaggerating. I haven’t seen rain like that since we lived in the Philippines. We were prepared for it to rain. We had our ponchos with us. We put them on right away expecting to put them back into our pack within a half an hour. But, no, we have finally retreated to our hotel after six hours of unrelenting heavy rain. Our shoes and socks are sodden. I’m wondering how many days it will take to dry them out and am grateful I had the foresight to bring five pairs of shoes. The Captain isn’t laughing at me now.

It isn’t supposed to dry out until 10:00 tonight. We have to be back at Epcot by 7:00 for dinner at The Land’s Garden Grill. At least that’s inside and not too far from the entrance.

Day 3 – Hollywood Studios Star Wars Weekend
Oh, The Boy was in heaven. It was ten year old Star Wars geek nirvana. He got to have a light saber duel with Darth Maul. He collected more character signatures than you can shake a stick at. He convinced his dear Mama to go on the Tower of Terror and Rockin’ Roller Coaster (he didn’t have to try very hard; I love roller coasters). We feasted on comfort food at the 50s Prime Time Diner. It was a good day. And it didn’t rain even a little.

Me, The Boy,  The Captain, and Mickey!

Day 4 – Water Slides and Old Friends
Today we spent a couple of hours in the morning at Blizzard Beach then went to a BBQ at the home of my dad’s old Army Lieutenant in Vietnam War (now a retired general) and his wife and family. After a full day of fun, we just couldn’t stop. On to the Magic Kingdom for the evening! Pirates of the Caribbean and Jungle Cruise were all we could fit in before the Electrical Light Parade (which is The Captain’s favorite), the light show on the Castle, and the fireworks.

I have to give a bit of info about the light show on the Castle prior to the fireworks. It was introduced stating that we would be viewing photos of guests taken that day at the park. My first thought was that I was not the least bit interested in looking at photos of strangers. However, in typical Disney fashion, it wasn’t just photos. They transformed the Castle colors, textures, even shape with lights and lasers. I didn’t dare look away for fear of missing something spectacular. The transformations continued for ten minutes or so before the fireworks. Well worth the wait.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like such a great trip!! Congratulations!!